American booze may soon return to Canadian store shelves, ending a series of bans by provincial retailers in response to U.S. President Donald Trump’s trade war. Some politicians and consumers say they’re not in the mood to say “cheers” with U.S. products.
According to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew and Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston, Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked the provinces to clear the way for liquor retailers to restock banned American products. Kinew described Carney as virtually begging first ministers to honour this request. He says reaching a Canada-U.S. trade deal by the end of the week could actually hinge on the booze issue.
“I was told by the prime minister that he wants us to put the booze back on the shelves,” Kinew told reporters on Thursday. “I wouldn’t say he was begging us, but what is a step before begging?”
Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette says lifting the ban is “possible” in her province, pending analysis of how new Canada-U.S. trade terms will impact Quebec’s economy.
“We need to have a global view. The complete view of the impact on Quebec’s economy,” she told CBC News on Thursday. “If it is globally positive, it is possible that we put back the alcohol on the shelves of the SAQ.”
A media officer for SAQ told Radio-Canada that American booze is currently being stored in warehouses in Montreal and Quebec City, and putting these products back on store shelves could take some time.
Kinew says consumers should continue buying Canadian, even if U.S products are once again available. He noted that his province has not yet agreed to resume sales of American alcohol.
U.S. liquor will go back on shelves if tariff deal is ‘positive’ for Quebec, premier says
“When we put the American booze back on the Liquor Mart shelves, Canadians, leave it there,” he said. “Spend your money on Canadian products that are going to employ people in our country.”
Provincial bans on U.S. booze sales have been a powerful point of leverage for Canada throughout the trade talks.
According to the White House, American businesses and workers, and U.S. commerce, have suffered as provinces and territories rolled out “unreasonable and unequal impositions and discriminations” on U.S. beer, wine and spirits.
Last month, the Trump administration said Canadian imports of U.S. alcoholic beverages are down about 81 per cent year over year, dropping to $137 million US for March 2025 through February 2026, from $718 million US in the same period a year before.
The pain has been especially acute in states like California, known for its wine, and Kentucky, which is famous for whisky.
“Canada is Kentucky’s number one trading partner,” Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear told CBC News in a recent interview.
“They’ve been a good trading partner. But because [Trump] has demeaned them, because he has questioned their sovereignty, they’ve taken Kentucky bourbon off their shelves, which hurts our economy. And honestly, every Canadian deserves good Kentucky bourbon.”
Across Canada, booze buyers have mixed feelings about buying American again.
In St. John’s, Ward Gross says he won’t be buying American products if they return to stores.
“We’ve got plenty of good alcohol here in Canada, and they’ve proven not to be our friends unless it’s to their advantage,” he told CBC News on Thursday.
Chris Lamar, also in St. John’s, says the booze ban in his province has helped broaden his palate.
“I do love bourbon, don’t get me wrong. But there is obviously a bad taste left in my mouth,” he said.
“Anything that disappeared, we found options outside of the American liquor. I thought that I would be excited for it to be coming back. I’m kind of indifferent now.”
In Vancouver, Peter Watson says Canada should maintain its ban to achieve favourable trade terms.
“We have weapons. We should use them,” he said.










