Related News

Historic Alberta teachers’ strike begins as 51,000 educators walk off the job

Historic Alberta teachers’ strike begins as 51,000 educators walk off the job

September 10, 2025
N.S. shot-put star stripped of 2nd Diamond League Trophy after winning throw disqualified

N.S. shot-put star stripped of 2nd Diamond League Trophy after winning throw disqualified

August 27, 2025
B.C. to work with First Nations on Indigenous rights act, Eby says

B.C. to work with First Nations on Indigenous rights act, Eby says

April 20, 2026

Browse by Category

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding

Related News

Historic Alberta teachers’ strike begins as 51,000 educators walk off the job

Historic Alberta teachers’ strike begins as 51,000 educators walk off the job

September 10, 2025
N.S. shot-put star stripped of 2nd Diamond League Trophy after winning throw disqualified

N.S. shot-put star stripped of 2nd Diamond League Trophy after winning throw disqualified

August 27, 2025
B.C. to work with First Nations on Indigenous rights act, Eby says

B.C. to work with First Nations on Indigenous rights act, Eby says

April 20, 2026

Browse by Category

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding
CANADIANA NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • Canadian news feed
  • Skateboarding
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Running & fitness
  • Music & Piano
  • WeMaple
No Result
View All Result
CONTRIBUTE
CANADIANA NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • Canadian news feed
  • Skateboarding
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Running & fitness
  • Music & Piano
  • WeMaple
No Result
View All Result
CANADIANA NEWS - AI Curated content
No Result
View All Result
Home Canadian news feed

Uncovered texts reveal alleged gun-for-hire network tied to attempted Project South hit

Sarah Taylor by Sarah Taylor
August 17, 2026
in Canadian news feed
0
Uncovered texts reveal alleged gun-for-hire network tied to attempted Project South hit
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The alleged hit on a jail official that triggered the police corruption and organized crime case known as Project South was organized by suspects contracting out the job using aliases on an encrypted messaging platform, according to court documents. 

You might also like

Demand for Canadian citizenship certificates soaring, fuelled by Americans

Where do Canada-U.S. trade negotiations stand? Here’s a sector-by-sector breakdown

Russian enriched uranium shipped to Canadian-owned Westinghouse in U.S.

Days before the alleged attempted murder, suspects are accused of using the Signal app to share personal information and photos about the target, a senior corrections officer at Toronto South Detention Centre whose identity is protected by a publication ban. 

The allegations are contained in a factum filed by Crown prosecutors last month in Ontario Superior Court. Based on chats uncovered on seized cellphones, the document paints a picture of how an alleged gun-for-hire network is accused of being behind the alleged attempted murder.

Former Toronto police officer Derek McCormick pleads guilty in Project South investigation

Crown won’t prosecute some charges laid in Project South police corruption investigation

The Project South investigation began in June 2025 after York Regional Police thwarted the alleged attempted hit after the suspect vehicle collided with a police car that was stationed outside the jail official’s home.

Initially, nearly 30 people were charged in Project South including seven Toronto police officers and one retired constable. One of the officers, who has since retired, pleaded guilty last month and one civilian’s charge was stayed. 

On June 16, 2025, four days before police foiled the alleged attempted murder, Dequon Lemonious, who prosecutors allege went by “Danny Phantom” on Signal, told Median Jackson, who allegedly went by “Lebron James,” that he needs someone to drive by an address and confirm whether a vehicle is there. 

Surveillance footage captures alleged conspiracy to commit murder

The factum states Lemonious then messaged Jackson a picture of the jail official’s address and vehicle that came from a search of the Ministry of Transportation’s (MTO) secure database, believed to have been unlawfully accessed by a Toronto police officer. 

Organized crime is using encrypted messaging apps to enlist youth. This spells trouble for police

Inmate and jail guard investigated, but not charged in Project South alleged murder plot

“If the car there need the hit squad,” Lemonious wrote to Jackson, according to the record. 

Amid planning the alleged hit on the jail official, prosecutors allege the two were discussing other “jobs.” 

According to the factum, Lemonious would provide information to Jackson who would subcontract the jobs to others to commit offences for money. 

“They discussed recruiting other individuals, as well as the prices for each job and how the money would be split,” the court record reads. 

The allegations have not yet been tested in court. 

Police recovered Signal messages from the cellphone of another person accused of conspiring to murder the jail guard just two days before police stopped the alleged planned hit. 

Devonte Barker-Campbell, alleged to have gone by “Dwayne Casey,” sent a message to a Signal user named “Thunder” that included a headshot of the jail official, a photo of a map showing his address and the same photo of the official’s vehicle and home address from the same MTO search result, according to the court filing.

Thunder ultimately declined the job. Hours later, Barker-Campbell offered the same job to a different person going by “Reality” on Signal.

‘Who’s paying for this?’: Toronto police believe youth hired for gun crimes such as U.S. consulate shooting

Man linked to Toronto police corruption probe has global drug-trafficking ties, court documents say

“Bro, everything ready. The Same Play, we can run that today. My Hitters Ready. When can we do this?” Reality wrote to Barker-Campbell two days before the alleged attempted hit, according to the court record.

Over the next 36 hours, the two arranged for a team of “hitters” to attend the jail official’s home, according to the factum. 

Reality’s hitters had difficulties with what the factum describes as their stolen vehicle and sent a video of it to Barker-Campbell. Prosecutors allege it’s the same blue Acura that was ultimately intercepted by police at the official’s home during the takedown on June 20. 

Inside the vehicle was Almar Heath, two young people who can’t be identified, a loaded handgun, surgical masks and gloves, and Heath’s phone, which was open to GPS directions to the corrections officer’s home, according to the factum.

Heath, Jackson, Lemonious, Barker-Campbell and two youths are charged with conspiracy to murder the jail official. None of the allegations have been tested in court.

Lawyers for Health and Barker-Campbell declined to comment. Counsel for Jackson did not provide a comment after CBC News reached out to her office. 

Lemonious is not currently represented by a lawyer. CBC News reached out to his previous lawyer, but did not receive a response. 

While investigating the alleged murder plot, York police discovered Toronto police Const. Timothy Barnhardt was allegedly the person who conducted the illegal search of the jail official’s information on the MTO database.

Barnhardt’s lawyer previously told CBC his legal team plans to defend him in court, not in the media.

The first time the blue Acura was seen near the corrections officer’s home was two days before the takedown, according to the factum.

Just minutes after the jail official arrived home from work that evening, his grandfather opened the door to a masked male pointing a gun, demanding to know who owned a vehicle in the driveway.

The court filing says his grandfather managed to close the door and a group of suspects fled in the blue Acura, which police spotted near the home again around the same time the next evening. 

Toronto cop at centre of corruption probe denied bail again

$1.5M bail revoked for alleged Project South drug trafficker accused of bribing Toronto cops

The following day, the car once again went to the house, this time under police surveillance, which led to the early-morning takedown and arrests. 

The factum also alleges a video of the same blue Acura was found on Jackson’s phone in a conversation showing Jackson and Lemonious directing an unidentified person in relation to a shooting at a restaurant the week earlier.

The person sent a video of the blue Acura complaining something was wrong with it and so another vehicle was used in the restaurant shooting, according to the court filing.

Read Entire Article
Tags: Canada NewsCBC.ca
Share30Tweet19
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

Recommended For You

Russian enriched uranium shipped to Canadian-owned Westinghouse in U.S.

by Sarah Taylor
August 17, 2026
0
Russian enriched uranium shipped to Canadian-owned Westinghouse in U.S.

While Russian President Vladimir Putin’s military occupies Ukraine’s largest nuclear plant and attacks the country's power infrastructure, Europe and the United States still depend on Russian

Read more

Where do Canada-U.S. trade negotiations stand? Here’s a sector-by-sector breakdown

by Sarah Taylor
August 17, 2026
0
Where do Canada-U.S. trade negotiations stand? Here’s a sector-by-sector breakdown

Canada is continuing to negotiate a trade deal with the United States that will allow it to both avoid US President Donald Trump's crippling tariff threat — set...

Read more

Demand for Canadian citizenship certificates soaring, fuelled by Americans

by Sarah Taylor
August 17, 2026
0
Demand for Canadian citizenship certificates soaring, fuelled by Americans

Applications from people around the world seeking Canadian citizenship certificates have been rising rapidly in recent months, fuelled by thousands of applications from the United States, CBC News

Read more

Grizzly bear escapes enclosure at Calgary Zoo

by Sarah Taylor
August 17, 2026
0
Grizzly bear escapes enclosure at Calgary Zoo

One of the Calgary Zoo's grizzly bears spent some time on the other side of his enclosureA spokesperson for the Wilder Institute's Calgary Zoo told CBC News one-year-old grizzly...

Read more

Meet Finn, the 15-year-old who saved a shark in New Brunswick

by Sarah Taylor
August 16, 2026
0
Meet Finn, the 15-year-old who saved a shark in New Brunswick

Fifteen-year-old Finn Holland loves animals, so when he heard that a shark washed up on a shore near his home in Maces Bay, NB, on Saturday evening, he...

Read more

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Historic Alberta teachers’ strike begins as 51,000 educators walk off the job

Historic Alberta teachers’ strike begins as 51,000 educators walk off the job

September 10, 2025
N.S. shot-put star stripped of 2nd Diamond League Trophy after winning throw disqualified

N.S. shot-put star stripped of 2nd Diamond League Trophy after winning throw disqualified

August 27, 2025
B.C. to work with First Nations on Indigenous rights act, Eby says

B.C. to work with First Nations on Indigenous rights act, Eby says

April 20, 2026

Browse by Category

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding
CANADIANA NEWS – AI Curated content

CANADIANA.NEWS will be firmly committed to the public interest and democratic values.

CATEGORIES

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding

BROWSE BY TAG

Canada News CBC.ca Golf Hockey Lifehacker Ludwig-van.com Skateboarding tomsguide.com

© 2025 canadiana.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Canadian news feed
  • Skateboarding
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Running & fitness
  • Music & Piano
  • WeMaple

© 2025 canadiana.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.