Related News

Man wanted after 3 people found dead in Ontario residence that burned down

Man wanted after 3 people found dead in Ontario residence that burned down

August 2, 2025
Canada women’s hockey team vows to learn from 7th consecutive loss to U.S., but time is running out

Canada women’s hockey team vows to learn from 7th consecutive loss to U.S., but time is running out

February 10, 2026
Strong winds fan Long Lake wildfire in N.S., prompting more evacuations

Strong winds fan Long Lake wildfire in N.S., prompting more evacuations

August 5, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding

Related News

Man wanted after 3 people found dead in Ontario residence that burned down

Man wanted after 3 people found dead in Ontario residence that burned down

August 2, 2025
Canada women’s hockey team vows to learn from 7th consecutive loss to U.S., but time is running out

Canada women’s hockey team vows to learn from 7th consecutive loss to U.S., but time is running out

February 10, 2026
Strong winds fan Long Lake wildfire in N.S., prompting more evacuations

Strong winds fan Long Lake wildfire in N.S., prompting more evacuations

August 5, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding
CANADIANA NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • Canadian news feed
  • Skateboarding
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Running & fitness
  • Music & Piano
  • WeMaple
No Result
View All Result
CONTRIBUTE
CANADIANA NEWS - AI Curated content
  • Home
  • Canadian news feed
  • Skateboarding
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Running & fitness
  • Music & Piano
  • WeMaple
No Result
View All Result
CANADIANA NEWS - AI Curated content
No Result
View All Result
Home Canadian news feed

Ontario Premier Doug Ford slams ‘ridiculous’ court ruling that bars clearing an encampment

Sarah Taylor by Sarah Taylor
May 22, 2026
in Canadian news feed
0
Ontario Premier Doug Ford slams ‘ridiculous’ court ruling that bars clearing an encampment
74
SHARES
1.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says a decision by an Ontario Superior Court justice that prevents the Region of Waterloo from clearing the encampment at 100 Victoria St. N. in Kitchener is “the most ridiculous ruling I’ve ever seen.”

You might also like

Job action averted as B.C. nurses reach tentative deal with province

New protected marine reserve, larger than P.E.I., to be established on B.C.’s Central Coast

3 dead after boat capsizes off Savary Island in B.C.: RCMP

Ford was in Sault Ste. Marie for a steel production funding announcement Friday just after noon when he was asked about the decision.

Ford slams Kitchener court ruling as ‘ridiculous’

Ford said he had spoken to regional chair Karen Redman and other local mayors Thursday night after the decision was released.

“Don’t get me wrong. I have a great deal of respect for our judges … but he comes out with this cockamamie idea that they’re going to hold up … transit, for what, 30 people? They’re going to hold up millions and millions of riders, communities and everything saying you can’t go in there, you can’t touch them.”

“I wish I could get that guy’s address. I’ll send 15 encampments in his backyard and see how he likes it. The craziest decision I’ve ever heard. But there are a lot of crazy decisions coming from our courts lately,” Ford said.

Tents at the Kitchener encampment first went up in late 2021. The number of people living at the site has changed depending on the time of year, with more people there during the warmer months.

The region previously tried to clear people from living at the site in 2022. In January 2023, a Kitchener judge ruled the region couldn’t evict people from the site unless they gave them another place to live.

The region has argued it needs the property in June for Metrolinx construction crews, who will raise train tracks in the area ahead of the region building a new transit hub at King and Victoria streets. 

In 2024, some mayors asked Ford to use the notwithstanding clause to clear homeless encampments.

In June 2025, the Ontario government passed the Safer Municipalities Act with a goal of making parks and public spaces safer. At the same time, the province announced an investment of $75.5 million for homelessness prevention and to provide people living in encampments with access to “reasonable alternative accommodation.”

‘A good feeling’: Kitchener encampment residents react after court rules they can stay

Region of Waterloo councillors passed a site-specific bylaw for the encampment site near the Kitchener train station in April 2025 and updated it this past January. It aimed to move people off the encampment site by April 1 this year.

But on Thursday, Gibson’s judgment said the region cannot clear the encampment unless the region can house everyone who is homeless or creates a tenting protocol that would allow people to put up tents on some regional properties.

In a statement to CBC News, a spokesperson for the region confirmed Redman spoke with the premier and other local municipal leaders Thursday night “regarding the court decision and the broader challenges municipalities are facing related to homelessness, encampments and community safety.”

“The discussion reinforced the importance of co-ordinated support and shared solutions across all levels of government,” it said.

“The region is reviewing the decision carefully and will continue working with provincial and municipal partners on next steps that are compassionate, practical and legally compliant.”

Read Entire Article
Tags: Canada NewsCBC.ca
Share30Tweet19
Sarah Taylor

Sarah Taylor

Recommended For You

Job action averted as B.C. nurses reach tentative deal with province

by Sarah Taylor
May 22, 2026
0
Job action averted as B.C. nurses reach tentative deal with province

British Columbia's nurses won't be taking job action, after reaching a tentative deal on a new collective agreement on Friday It comes after the BC Nurses' Union (BCNU)...

Read more

New protected marine reserve, larger than P.E.I., to be established on B.C.’s Central Coast

by Sarah Taylor
May 22, 2026
0
New protected marine reserve, larger than P.E.I., to be established on B.C.’s Central Coast

An enormous national marine conservation reserve is being established on British Columbia's Central Coast, spanning an area larger than Prince Edward Island The protected area, named Mia-yaltwa

Read more

3 dead after boat capsizes off Savary Island in B.C.: RCMP

by Sarah Taylor
May 22, 2026
0
3 dead after boat capsizes off Savary Island in B.C.: RCMP

Powell River RCMP say three men are dead after a boat capsized about 500 to 1,000 metres off the shore of Savary Island Thursday nightTwo men survived, according...

Read more

Gold rush or red card? World Cup demand in B.C. uncertain with just weeks to kickoff

by Sarah Taylor
May 22, 2026
0
Gold rush or red card? World Cup demand in B.C. uncertain with just weeks to kickoff

Is optimism about the economic impact of the FIFA World Cup 2026 deflating in BCWith just three weeks until the June 13 kickoff for the first of Vancouver's...

Read more

Persephone boat from The Beachcombers restored after heavy damage

by Sarah Taylor
May 22, 2026
0
Persephone boat from The Beachcombers restored after heavy damage

The Sunshine Coast community of Gibsons, BC, has come together to restore a piece of history The red-and-black boat called the Persephone featured in the long-running TV series...

Read more
Next Post
Canadian men defeat Slovenia for 5th straight win to open world hockey championship

Canadian men defeat Slovenia for 5th straight win to open world hockey championship

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related News

Man wanted after 3 people found dead in Ontario residence that burned down

Man wanted after 3 people found dead in Ontario residence that burned down

August 2, 2025
Canada women’s hockey team vows to learn from 7th consecutive loss to U.S., but time is running out

Canada women’s hockey team vows to learn from 7th consecutive loss to U.S., but time is running out

February 10, 2026
Strong winds fan Long Lake wildfire in N.S., prompting more evacuations

Strong winds fan Long Lake wildfire in N.S., prompting more evacuations

August 5, 2025

Browse by Category

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding
CANADIANA NEWS – AI Curated content

CANADIANA.NEWS will be firmly committed to the public interest and democratic values.

CATEGORIES

  • Canadian news feed
  • Golf news
  • Hockey news
  • Music & Piano
  • Running & fitness
  • Skateboarding

BROWSE BY TAG

Canada News CBC.ca Golf Hockey Lifehacker Ludwig-van.com Skateboarding tomsguide.com

© 2025 canadiana.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Canadian news feed
  • Skateboarding
  • Golf
  • Hockey
  • Running & fitness
  • Music & Piano
  • WeMaple

© 2025 canadiana.news - all rights reserved. YYC TECH CONSULTING.