The Parti Québécois will not hold a referendum as long as U.S. President Donald Trump remains in power, party leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon announced Tuesday morning.
In a post on X, he said he wants to avoid having the issue “hijacked by the ups and downs of American politics.”
“An issue as crucial as the political future of Quebec requires conditions that allow for an informed and calm debate,” St-Pierre Plamondon wrote.
He said the next government will be faced with “more than enough challenges” without calling a referendum.
“So I decided to completely defuse the argument that this would be the worst time to think about our future because of Trump, by ruling out the possibility of holding a referendum by the end of his second term,” St-Pierre Plamondon explained in his post.
Trump’s second term is set to end on Jan. 20, 2029.
St-Pierre Plamondon said that, if elected, he would still consult Quebecers on the issue of independence, after Trump leaves office.
The announcement comes just over a week ahead of the official launch of the Quebec provincial election campaign. Voters are scheduled to head to the polls on Oct. 5.
U.S. businessowners don’t want to leave their Canadian suppliers, but 50% tariffs might leave them no choice
Across the country, Canadians are waiting to hear what comes of last-minute negotiations to avoid a fresh batch of American tariffs expected to take effect this week.
Prime Minister Mark Carney said the discussions are “delicate” and “intense.” He plans to speak to his American counterpart before the Wednesday deadline to broker a mutually agreeable deal.
The separatist leader has promised to hold a referendum in his first mandate, and while anglophone voters have largely supported Liberals in the past, St-Pierre Plamondon has been making an appeal to them in recent weeks.
In an open letter published in the National Post last week, St-Pierre Plamondon said he has heard from anglophones who “share the same realities and concerns” as francophones in the province.
As examples, he points to issues related to the cost of living and purchasing a home as well as struggles in the education and health-care systems to provide sufficient services.
“We are all in the same boat,” he wrote. “We live under the same institutions. We pay the same taxes. We deserve the same high-quality public services and individual financial well-being.”
‘We are all in the same boat’: PQ leader reaches out to anglophones ahead of election
What the Churchill Falls deal means for Quebec – and the provincial election
In a recent poll published by Angus Reid and surveying just over 900 people, only 15 per cent of respondents said they would “definitely vote to leave” if a referendum were held today.
An additional 11 per cent responded they would “lean toward voting to leave.”
Regardless, the PQ is ahead in the polls.
According to political aggregator 338Canada, the Parti Québécois holds a lead in overall voting intentions, placing them ahead of the Quebec Liberal Party and the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.
What Quebec parties’ pre-campaign ads suggest ahead of the election










