The home of the Toronto police constable described as the “genesis” of a months-long corruption probe was listed for sale this week while the officer remains behind bars.
Const. Timothy Barnhardt, 56, was denied bail earlier this month as he faces 17 charges — the most of any of the seven Toronto cops and one retired officer arrested in connection to the York Regional Police investigation Project South.
The allegations against Barnhardt include trafficking police uniforms, supporting illegal cannabis dispensaries by accepting bribes in exchange for protecting against police investigation, and releasing confidential information to criminals, which police say helped facilitate targeted shootings.
None of the charges against him have been tested in court.
In addition to the police officers, 19 civilians have been charged as part of the sweeping probe that began last June after York police officers uncovered an alleged conspiracy to kill a senior corrections officer at an Ontario detention centre. The case has since expanded into a wide-ranging corruption and organized crime investigation.
Some of the officers are accused of leaking information to an organized crime group that used it to carry out robberies, extortions and shootings.
Barnhardt’s three-bedroom Mississauga, Ont., townhouse was listed for sale for just under $700,000 on Wednesday. In the listing photos, the family’s belongings and photos are still present throughout the home.
CBC News reviewed a copy of the property’s land title record, which shows that Barnhardt and his wife owed the City of Mississauga more than $16,000 in unpaid taxes as of the end of 2024. If that sum isn’t paid by late April 2026, a certificate the city registered on title in April 2025 says the property will be sold by public sale. The couple bought the house in 2018 for $545,000 and have an active mortgage on it.
Barnhart is currently suspended with pay, but Toronto police Chief Myron Demkiw started the suspension without pay process under Ontario’s Community Safety and Policing Act for Barnhardt and five of the other officers charged on Feb. 9, according to a police spokesperson.
A suspension without pay takes effect 60 days after notice is given, so Barnhardt could lose his income by April 10. It also remains unclear whether or not the Toronto Police Association (TPA) will cover Barnhardt’s legal bills.
In a statement, the union said legal coverage for members facing criminal charges is not guaranteed, each case is looked at on its own merits, but decisions either way are confidential.
Barnhardt’s lawyer, Joanne Mulcahy, did not respond to requests for comment and her office said she’s currently unavailable. In an email, the realtor who listed Barnhardt’s house for sale told CBC News he couldn’t comment because of client confidentiality and privacy obligations.
Given Barnhardt remains in custody, selling his house is more complicated than most real estate transactions, according to real estate lawyer Bob Aaron.
“It’s a little more challenging, but it’s not impossible to solve,” said Aaron.
“If before, or even after, going into jail, he had signed a power of attorney in favor of his wife, then she could handle the entire negotiations and signing the closing documents.”
Aaron says that’s the easiest approach. But if that doesn’t happen, a realtor and a lawyer would likely have to go to the jail where Barnhardt is being held with the closing paperwork for him to sign, the lawyer said.
“I’ve been doing this for decades and I’ve only had one instance that I can recall where I had to visit a jail and get the client to sign.”
CBC News also obtained an Ontario lien record for Barnhardt, which revealed a connection to Philip Lecos — one of the 19 civilians charged in the corruption probe.
Barnhardt and his wife are leasing a 2018 Audi Q5 from Lecos Auto Sales. Corporation records show Lecos is one of three directors of what appears to be a family-run used car business operating two dealerships in Toronto.
Lecos was charged with possession of a motor vehicle obtained by a crime earlier this month as part of Project South. The 49-year-old from King City, Ont., is not in custody and will appear in court early next month.
Lecos’s lawyer, John Christie, told CBC News his client is not guilty. The lawyer said the vehicle was in Lecos’s possession through his company for a repair, but that he didn’t know the vehicle was stolen.
“It has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of police corruption,” Christie said.
In terms of Barnhardt’s leased vehicle, the lawyer said the lien record suggests he was just a customer.
Barnhardt is scheduled to be back in court on March 19.
He and the five other officers who are facing suspension without pay have the right to ask for a review of the chief’s decision. Toronto police would not confirm whether or not any of those officers have asked for a review.
Speaking generally about suspending officers without pay, lawyer David Butt said it can be an appropriate tool when it’s used with restraint.
“There can be cases where the allegations are so egregious and at first blush so meritorious that it seems inappropriate to be paying the accused person facing those allegations while the case drags its way through the court from the perspective of responsible expenditure of public money,” said Butt.
Const. Derek McCormick is the sole Toronto officer charged in connection with the corruption probe for whom a suspension without pay hasn’t been requested. The service says his suspension will be re-evaluated as the case moves through the courts.










